Tuesday, March 15, 2005

View from the Window

Just a quick note to say I'm back! I've got a scary backlog of blog posts to share with you - still plenty from the Words by the Water Festival, and some from this past weekend.

But today, let's be tranquil and smilingly content.

(From Patience Strong's Thoughts for Every Day, Bounty Books.)

March 15th

Fortunate are they who greet the day through cottage panes - looking out on distant hills, green fields and winding lanes... Fortunate are they who from their lattices can see, the ever-changing beauty of some old and lovely tree.

Lucky is the one whose casements frame an open view - of an unspoilt landscape fading out into the blue. What could be more perfect than to wake and to behold - the country scene through cottage windows flushed with morning gold?


I couldn't agree more.

Actually, I think it's more than fortunate, I think it's necessary, just once in a while, to look out of an old window and see an older land.

One of these days I'm going to write a seriously bitchin' writing article about sense of place and setting in romance fiction.

4 Comments:

At 3:58 pm, Blogger Melani Blazer said...

*waiting impatiently for that article...*

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Soooo jealous of your casement view. I've got a development of new houses going up in my back garden.

 
At 8:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see that article now now in the RNA news... go for it!

Lovely thoughts for the day. My office window looks over fields (and, when the trees are still bare, a bit of a fishing lake). Very tranquil. Until I see the dogs digging their way under the fence to escape into the field - one on digging duty and the other looking round in case I walk out the back door and yell...

 
At 12:55 pm, Blogger Kate said...

I need to read that article too, please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home