Friday, December 29, 2006

To Do

There's a strange temporal effect around Christmas and New Year - I've often noticed it. The week-to-ten-days break seems to stretch away almost to infinity, full of space and time and possibilities.

"I shall take the time to rest," I think, "I shall play daily with the cats, cook luscious repasts and sit reading before the fire. Yea, verily, I shall essay long walks in the Glorious Countryside and write endless, Glowing Prose. Forsooth, nuncle, my days will be happy and long."

What actually happens is that I seem to do twice as much cooking as I'd planned, inexplicably find I'm doing laundry and hoovering (which are the HUSBAND'S tasks!), spend one fraught day shopping, and avoid the Glorious Countryside, since the Glorious Countryside appears to be trying to batter its way into the house via various draughty corners and slipped window panes.

As for the Glowing Prose.... The only writing I've been doing has been adding to the Writing To Do List. Which currently reads Thus (in no particular order):-

1) Write author bio (requested by editor)
2) Fill out Cover Art Sheet (likewise requeste by editor)
3) Edit first three chapters, or however much I can work, of TAKEN (you guessed it, requested by A N Other-Editor)
4) Write TAKEN synopsis (see above)
5) Complete website design brief (requested by designer)
6) Assemble partial of DANGEROUS LIES (yuh-huh. This is the option book)
7) Write DANGEROUS LIES synopsis
8) Do MCWIFE edits (not sure when these are coming)

All of the above (apart from 8) had a deadline of, oh, about.... last week?

I'm thinking that I might get to write something completely new next year. Eventually.

Mind you, all joking aside, I never thought I'd have a To Do List like that this year. And I received my first ever advance cheque yesterday. Some things are just good, no matter how much hard work are attached to them, right?

As for today, today I'm going to shower, fire up the coffee machine (my Muse of Health just started sobbing quietly in the corner) and tackle items 1) and 2). Wish me luck!

(My days have been happy and long, though. And I have played with the cats every day...)

6 Comments:

At 12:50 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay on the advance cheque!!! Are you going to frame it or at least a copy??? How exciting.

Great to do list....

Sounds like you have had a great holiday:-)

Liz

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Emma Wayne Porter said...

Oh dear....

Chocolate shipment on its way.

Unless I accidentally eat it all first, of course.

*peptalk*

 
At 8:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Anna!!! It's been a decent year methinks, in all. Good luck on working your way through that list ... she says, avoiding her own inevitable list of things to be done ....

I hope your dad is doing okay? And here's wishing you and yours a most excellent 2007!

Loreth

 
At 5:22 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

But it's the sort of To Do list you do with a huge smile, even when you're completely frazzled!

I think it's wonderful!

Happy New Year!

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Happy New Year Anna!

 
At 10:19 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

I KNOW, Liz, isn't it YAy-ish!? Thank you. :-)

Mmmmff-mm-mff-'ocolate, Emma... thanks.

Thanks for the good wishes, Loreth. Dad had a good Christmas and is annoying us all by doing too much!

Yes, smiling and frazzled, Sela!

Happy New Year, Trace! :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home