Saturday, March 19, 2005

Cherry on Top

This afternoon was nigh-on perfect.

I finished work just after lunchtime, and tootled on down the Eden valley, ending up calling in at Acorn Bank, and National Trust gardens and woodland down by the river.

I had tea, and wandered down through the sunken garden and into the woodland. Every little freeze-frame of the afternoon was like a delicious cake, not only covered in delectable icing, but decorated with a sweet, succulent cherry on top, too.

The pond was not just an ornamental pool in a calming garden. It harboured all three species of English newt, all dancing their wildly sensual flamenco that is their courting dance.

Yes, folks. Newts are sexy. Don't even stop to question it - I have said so.

The woodland bank was alive with flowers. Spangled with daffodils. And not just any daffodil. These were the native, wild daffodil, with its bashful, nodding head, and star-like petals. Put these next to your common or garden daff and they look like a debutante next to a tart.

Sunlight slipped through bare branches of trees holding their breath for the moment of buds bursting. It illuminated patches of demure, secretive dog's mercury, that darkly green and glossy herald of ancient woodland. And there, on one sleek leaf rested a ladybird, like a ruby solitaire on a bed of emeralds.

See? Icing. Cherries.

Told you so.

(And newts are sexy)

8 Comments:

At 5:54 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

She's a witch! She turned me into a newt!

But I got better. ;-)

Sela, newt green with envy over your lovey, icing with cherry on top day

 
At 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never look at the Flamenco the same way again. *g*

But I'm glad you had a lovely day.

 
At 7:36 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

You and Gussie Finknottle with your sexy newts.

Acron Bank is truly is lovely place. I am pleased you shared your day.

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said...

Not only Gussie Finknottle but Ken Livingstone also.

 
At 12:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write THE most beautiful descriptions. I can't WAIT till your first book comes out!

 
At 2:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. I second what Suzanne said. I LOVE your descriptions.

Lori :)

 
At 1:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an amazing writer! And I'm jealous that you have green and flowers.

I have white snow. And more white snow ...

 
At 1:46 am, Blogger vanessa jaye said...

I am so very late is saying this, but that was so very lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home