Sunday, November 12, 2006

Reasons to be Cheerful

One:- The facial was lovely.

Two:- I had a good shopping session this afternoon.

Three:- While in the bank on Friday, having a review, I happened to mention my newly published status to the customer service officer. "Oooh," she said, clearly delighted. "Is it a children's book, or..." she hesitated, and then said with breathless excitment, ".. a romance?"

It's nice to find a fan of the genre, no?

She then quizzed me about my pen name and said she'd keep her eye out for it. I'll have to send her a bookmark or something when it comes out...

It's funny, but I've been incredibly lucky. I've only ever had negative reactions to my writing romance once or twice, in five years of being very upfront about it. And all the negative reactions have just been ignorant, jokey ones. Not openly dismissive ones.

Most people are surprised, intrigued, and slightly impressed.

Excellent.

2 Comments:

At 7:47 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Absolutely, Loreth! I'm convinced that if you behave as if you expect a good reaction, that's what you'll get.

If we behave like weve got something to be ashamed of, people will make us feel ashamed...

;-)

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

That is awesome to hear. Most people know I write romance, but I've encountered a few people who look at me in horror. In fact, one man came to my RWA chapter's table at a book festival and said that romance novels were, "Whore-books." *gasp!*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home