Wednesday, April 13, 2005

What counts as writing?

Here's something I've been mulling over recently - what activity counts as writing?

In the past week I've done the following (in no particular order):-

Edited
Written a synosis
Written a cover letter
Written a marketing strategy
Read a magazine article about writer-me and thought how best to use it
Blogged
Supported writing friends
Critiqued for writing friends
Worked on a budget for a writing workshop
Continued to plan with a friend for a writing workshop
Assembled and posted a submission packet
Mentally plotted a historical novel I will never write
Mentally planned when I will get on to my next WIP
Printed a 315 page MS (#@!@~&!! printer!)

All of those things are part and parcel of writer-me. They may not be essential to getting words on the page, but they are critical to my development as a writer - it's career development.

Do they count? I feel they're important.

But I suspect that sometimes only words on the page will do.

9 Comments:

At 10:28 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Editting, writing a synopsis and thinking time all count.
Anything that utilzes the muse counts.

Yes sometimes only words on a page counts but it depends on the activity you are doing. Part of being a writer with a professional attitude is editting revising, submitting, researching. Mulling over in your mind what to do next.

But here's to you finishing your next wip

 
At 10:42 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Amen, Sistah!!! *VBG*

I can't wait to get back to Frenchman and really make some more progress. I have some serious third-act unravelling to do, but that's okay.

Plan; Finish; Edit; Submit to NWS; Edit; Query.

Bring it on. ;-)

 
At 11:38 am, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

I think all those things seriously count. You've done really well, Anna--climbing something you thought was a major hurdle not long ago.

I'm proud of you.

 
At 11:54 am, Blogger Unknown said...

*hug*

I think it counts as writing. And I'm with Julie - muchos congratulations on coming this far!

Love ya!

 
At 1:30 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

I have to say, you sound *exactly* like a professional writer doing professional writer sorts of things. I'm so proud of you because I remember you a year and two years ago. You've come a long way, baby!

 
At 4:10 pm, Blogger Kristen Painter said...

I agree with everyone else. Everything you've done is part of being a working, actively seeking publication writer.

Rock on!

 
At 6:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't watching TV count? I really want it to....

 
At 8:05 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Babe, it counts tonight. ;-)

 
At 8:24 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

LOL!

Doesn't it depend on the research angle? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home