Saturday, April 02, 2005

Fanfare Moment

Every time I read this one line in my MS, I hear trumpets.

Yup. Trumpets. One massive, blaring, unrepentently joyful fanfare.

The line? For Jenny, he wanted not to be Kier McAllister.

Why the trumpets? Because this is probably the most important pivotal moment for the Hero. From this moment towards the end of chaper four, everything for him is a slow journey back to a life where a conscience isn't a weakness, and choosing not to hurt someone isn't a failure.

Of course he has a long way to go to deserve Jenny, who is a freaking miracle of the extraordinary-in-the-ordinary and the strongest heroine I've yet written.

But those trumpets are the start of the journey.

I love my reprehensible, morally ambiguous hero. But I love him more because he can, and does, change.

So, what's your fanfare moment? Where do the trumpets sound for you?

10 Comments:

At 12:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly cannot wait until I can read that entire story. It should be a crime that it's not published already because that was one of the best openings I've ever read (this is the one, isn't it? the one that was part of a contest where they posted openings? I loved that story....).

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Bless you, Suzanne, you're good for my ego! :-) Yes, that's the one.

 
At 10:55 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Fantastic High Moment Anna. A moment of trumpets sounding and when he becomes determined to be better than his former self. A moment of irrevociable committment on his part.

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

I love your morally ambiguous hero, too!

 
At 4:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I feel left out because I haven't read your opening...but don't you love it when you find the pivotal moment? Sometimes I don't even realize I've found it until after I've written it and gone back and read my work.

 
At 4:32 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Sigh. Sexy Kier. One day I will hold him between two covers...trumpet and all. (ggg)

 
At 6:50 pm, Blogger vanessa jaye said...

I'll second, Suzanne. That opening in the Romance Junkie's contest was outstanding!

And, I too love morally ambiguous heroes.

 
At 4:06 pm, Blogger Jaci Burton said...

i love to see this enthusiasm, Anna! And you WILL sell this book!

 
At 5:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a line. If that's an NWS script, I hope it lands on my desk... :)

Kate H

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Ah, this one's been through the NWS in another incarnation. This year I hope to finish my Frenchman before September....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home