Monday, May 16, 2005

Love/Hate Relationships

1) If you've hung around here long enough, you'll know I love men. My man in my bed, in my life, in my heart, my arms, my kitchen and my books. Other men to admire and adore. They're aesthetically pleasing, intellectually stimulating, challenging and fascinating.

They're also stubborn, frustrating, manipulative, workshy, stupid gits.

2) I love chocolate. Rich, dark, silky and perfect.

I don't like a stomach that resembles dough that's been left to rise for too long. White dough.

3) I love ibuprofen. It does what no other painkiller will do for me, at certain times, and without it I'd spend way too many hours in bed smothering my curses in my pillow.

I hate what ibuprofen does to my intestinal tract. [Here I pause to let my readers go, "Ewww!"]

4) I love my job. It's varied, satisfying, valued and well-supported by my employer.

It's also frustrating, undervalued by our clients, misunderstood by the rest of the world and I hate what it does to my life.

Love cats. Hate the death of small creatures. Love kids. Hate the trying to get pregnant. Love gardens. Hate slugs. Love holidays. Hate the unpacking.

Then I think about Frenchman.

Emily loves Tristan. She loves him far earlier in the book than she realises. But she hates that he stands between her and everything she wants. And he knows it.

Tristan falls for Emily almost the first moment he sees her. But he hates, most violently, the way she starts to rely on him, the way he becomes one of the reasons she can't crawl out of her own fear.

Hmm. Maybe Love/Hate relationships aren't such a bad thing. Isn't that what we call Conflict?

What's today's Love/Hate for you?

7 Comments:

At 4:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, Tristan and Emily sound good!

 
At 7:00 pm, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

Love starting a new story. Hate writing a synopsis. *grin*

 
At 8:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna, Love Tristan and Emily, Hate that it will be forever and a day before I can read the rest of it. :)

This is going to sound incredibly dorky, but I was just thinking the other day about people I haven't chatted with in a long time, how much I miss them, etc., and you were one of the people I was thinking about. And I'd seen "Anna Lucia" posting in blogs I frequent, but never made the connection (okay, yes, I'm dense). Then today, I saw just an "Anna" and thought, well, maybe it's MY Anna. So I looked, and sure enough, I realize that not only do I get DUH points, but I'm among the raging morons. :)

So anyway... I've missed you, and sending big hugs out to you.

 
At 9:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love carbohydrates and hate that they make me fat!!

 
At 9:35 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

ggg Beth - I'm right with ya!

Aww, Dream, not dorky. :) I miss you, too, and I love 'seeing' you on Kate's blog.

Thanks Jill! I do have a huge soft spot for these two.

And boy, Suzanne, ain't that the truth. ;-)

(MUST get my blog sorted so it says I'm AnnaofCumberland, too. Ah, what it is to have multiple-personality disorder in writing-land... )

 
At 12:04 am, Blogger vanessa jaye said...

Love your writing, hate that you're not published yet. :-P

Great post.

 
At 8:01 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Hi Anna -
Love your blog! And I can identify with lots of things on your love/hate list. :-)
I visited the Lake District back in 1995 and loved it. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home