Monday, April 25, 2005

"I was passing someone a cat..."

My life is mostly boring.

But it's in the 'mostly' part that the adventures begin....

On Sunday I was having a pretty mundane day, giving the tiny front garden the first real overhaul of the spring. Weeding, planting out, mulching. As an almost un-noticed comma to the day's paragraph, I hit my head on the arbour seat part way through the afternoon.

It hurt.

A bit.

So I kept on gardening.

That evening, I was trying to show the almost invisible lump to Husband, when he pointed out that I had a graze, too.

Cool, I thought. I drew blood!

(Yes, I have never grown up.)

This morning I wake up with a headache. Well, I get a lot of headaches. Usually I take a tablet and they disappear. With what was probably my last sensible, logical decision of the day, I decided not to take a tablet in case the headache was in some way related to the bump on the head.

Please note, I managed to make the connection between the headache and the bump, but not the connection between, say, a possible concussion and not driving, or, I don't know - not going to work and seeing a doctor instead?

I told you it was my last sensible decision.

So I drove to work. The thirty miles to work. I sat through meeting #1 and meeting #2. Somewhere about half an hour into meeting #3 (all of which, thank heaven, were with friends and colleagues, some of whom I'd told about my 'headache') it was pointed out that I really wasn't well and should probably go home.

(The following dialogue is a dramatisation of the conversation that followed)

Me: Yeah, I'm really not coping now
Boss: I want you to go to hospital
Me: I'll pop in on my doctor when I get home
Boss: Are you okay to drive
Me: Yeah, I'll--
Colleague: No.
Me: Oh I'm sure--
Colleague: No
Me: I could call Husband?
Boss: And go to a hospital
Me (getting to my feet): Okay. I just need to make a couple of phone calls and get some work for tomorro--
Boss & Colleague: NO

To cut a long and embarassing story short, Colleague (thankyouthankyouthankyou) drives me to a local hospital, and we call Husband from there to fetch me.

And I'm fine. Slight concussion and delayed shock, rest today and I'm allowed to drive tomorrow if the headache's gone.

*shaking head gently* Honestly. What a palaver.

I'll leave you with the wonderfully 'Anna' conversation with the doctor at the hospital:-

Dr: And what do you do at work?
Me: I'm a Rural.... thing. It'll come to me. Development Officer.
*Pause*
Dr: And how did you hit your head?
Me: I was passing someone a cat.

9 Comments:

At 10:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Passing someone a cat? That figures.

Hope the headache's gone away now.

Sue

 
At 10:51 am, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

At least you have an excuse. Half the time I say things like, "Tall. Leafy thing. Outside. Green."
"Tree?"
"Yes! That's it! A tree!"

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger Cincy Diva said...

My one bout with delirium, the doctor asked me who the president of the United States was. In effort to save face I said. "Well if you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you!"
Hope you are feeling better

 
At 11:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack, Anna, I hope you're better now!!

 
At 6:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your head feels a lot better now, Anna. But what a comment. (I hope you're going to use that in a book - is priceless!)

 
At 8:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely priceless. Great opening line too, tells us such a lot about our fair heroine.

Sue

 
At 1:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. I hope you're feeling better but thanks for the smile.

 
At 2:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{Anna}}}
I can't believe you could write it so comically. LOL.
Hope you're better now.

 
At 1:32 pm, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

*Hugz* Anna. *SMOOCH* on the head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home