Friday, January 27, 2006

Wish me no pumpkins

Did the fairy godmother wave her magic wand and wax Cinderella's bikini line? Was there an enchanted pedicure attached to that conjured dress? Were the mice turned into hardressers before footmen?

Who knows. I only know only magical assistance could get me ready for an, "ankle length evening dress" dress-code event in less than about, oh, forty-eight hours.

And the outfit planning's been going on for weeks.

But now I'm smoothed, painted, plucked and pampered, all by my own hand (ball on a budget, do with no dosh?) and shall shortly depart for the know-less lands south of Cumbria. (There's a line somewhere around Junciton 20 of the M6. I swear it. No-one south of there has heard of Cumbria. "Is that near Scotland, then?" Nine hundred years ago, it WAS Scotland, you ignorant child.)

My brother is in the Territorial Army. Yes, for most people that means a jolly camping trip on a moor somewhere a few times a year. To him it means finding a flexible dayjob so he can devote most weekends and many weekdays to instructing signallers, improving his skills, and supporting his Squadron in various events. It also means lengthy tours in Kosovo and Iraq. He's dedicated.

He's also invited me to a Regimental Dinner this weekend. I'm so proud!

And in order to not let him down, his sister has been attempting the steps towards a Cinderella-like transformation.

Anyone got a magic wand?

(Be back Sunday)

7 Comments:

At 6:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy yourself. Take pictures. I know you'll look lovely.

Lori :)

 
At 7:08 pm, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Have an absolutely marvellous time. I am sure you will shine. But I do want pictures.

Oh and congrats for getting your post card back so quickly! Fingers firmly crossed

 
At 12:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bippity-bobbity-boo...did it work? LOL! I hope you have a wonderful time!

 
At 1:27 am, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Have fun.

I don't need a fairy, fortunately. I'm wearing ankle length skirts most of the time anyway because they're so comfortable. Dressing up means picking a different blouse, shaking my hair so the curls will fall into place, and adding a bit lipgloss and mascara. And then climbing some fences on the shortcut to the theatre. :-)

 
At 1:44 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Have a great time!

 
At 1:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to dress up and the whole process, manicure-pedicure included. Now if I put on make-up, it's an effort. Have great time!

 
At 8:01 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Well, the only picture that came out well was a back view of my hair-do, so I'll post that some time!

Thanks for the good wishes, and fairy godmother vibes... had a great time.

Gabriele, I'm deeply jealous, not least of the curly hair!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home