Sunday, January 23, 2005

The Ghost of Scenes Past

You know the one.

In the rough draft it was a key scene: pivotal, climactic, pacey. Then you edited. And then you rewrote. You took out a marriage of convenience (which was, I blush to admit, completely pointless and highly INconvenient). You shifted Act III into a different country.

(Okay, that last one could just be me. Remind me to talk about my obsession with settings one of these days)

Suddenly your key scene needs major rewriting. And you’re... stuck. You’re so stuck you’re running scared, running on empty, running for President of Procrastinators.

“Work out why the scene needs to be there,” says Julie, “and maybe it'll be easier.”

Now why didn't I think of that?

Because I'm so deep in what that scene USED to do, and why it USED to be there. And also because I've committed that cardinal sin of viewing the scene constantly in isolation. So I need to read back, rediscover a few arcs, and put in what's missing not just change what's there.

Thanks Julie. :-)

4 Comments:

At 2:03 am, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Lady Anna, I know *exactly* what you mean. Thank heaven for 2 hour conversations with my mother to help me see more clearly. If I ever publish, I swear I'm going to have to include her in the acknowledgments as a co-writer :)

 
At 5:00 am, Blogger Sasha White said...

Anna of! I just had to drop by and say WELCOME to the world of blogging!

 
At 5:34 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

You're welcome, Anna. :-)

And thanks for the wedding dress scene.

Jul

 
At 1:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog you have here :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home