Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Romance - it's in the details

Husband doesn't go in for buying me flowers. Jewelry isn't his thing. Chocolates are something we get for a treat, not something we give as a present. If I want a romantic weekend away, I'd better book it.

Does that mean he's not romantic?

Nope.

He's spent the last ten days or so putting his CD collection onto his computer as MP4s. For me, this meant lots of 'yes dear' moments when he waxed lyrical about whichever CD he was copying. It also meant enduring the agony of 'The Rush Day'. Let us never speak of it again.

When he'd finished, on his last day off, I suggested he go for a walk, or go out, or do something for himself. "Nah," he said, "I've got a few music-y bits and pieces to finish off."

The next day, as I was about to leave for a weekend with my brother, he leant in through the window of the car and handed me a CD. "Here ya go. There's over a hundred tracks on here, for the journey."

"Thanks, love!" I said, thinking he'd just put a random sample of his collection onto CD for me.

I drove off.

I pressed play.

Every one of those tracks is a personal favourite, or a cherished memory, or somehow significant to me, or to us. All those times, in the (eeek!) twelve years we've been together, when I've gone, "Ooooh, I love this one," he REMEMBERED. The first tune I ever taped off the radio. The ones we laugh through together. The ones I write to. The embarassing ones I sing to, eyes screwed shut. The ones that are more about my relationship with my God, than my relationship with my Husband.

All the way down the motorway, each new track, I was yelling, "You GENIUS!" delightedly at the stereo. It was like he was sitting beside me, handing me little gifts.

Some of the tracks I didn't even know he HAD. Some of them he bought online for me.

I can buy myself flowers. Heck, I can buy myself diamonds. This... this kind of understanding I couldn't get anywhere else.

It's all in the details, folks. It's something I need to keep in mind for my heroes.

7 Comments:

At 5:59 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

I love him. :-)

(Though not as much as you do, obviously, ggg.)

 
At 7:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is just beautiful.

And don't forget that the heroine in your writing can present the same kind of soul touching gifts to the hero.

Men are rather gruff creatures, but they do have their soft spots.

Jewell aka Shiver

 
At 4:19 am, Blogger vanessa jaye said...

Such a nice post, Anna. Your guy is *very* romantic. :-)

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Aaaaw Anna, you made me all teary with that one

 
At 2:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww!! I knew he was sweetie! I want one!

 
At 2:25 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Your husband ROCKS!! You can tell him I said that with the devil fingers and everything. ;-)

 
At 4:38 pm, Blogger Jaci Burton said...

It's things like this that our men do when we can smile at each other, nod, sending that silent message....

Yeah..He's a keeper.

Well done, Anna. You chose wisely *g*

Jaci

 

Post a Comment

<< Home