Thursday, February 10, 2005

Whatever the weather

I'm a writer.

Someday soon I'm going to have to crack the concept of writing all the time, no matter how I feel.

Because there are always excuses. On a minor scale there are always demanding people, and chores, and (heaven forfend) the day job. On a major scale there are families and husbands (well, hopefully only one. Unless.... No. Only one) sickness and worse.

In other words, there will ALWAYS be too many days when you don't feel like writing, for reasons that seem damn good to you. You can postpone your whole life saying, "tomorrow will be better."

I'm not trying to depress you. I'm not saying, "tomorrow will always be worse." I'm trying to say, "I can make tomorrow better, if I write today."

Wish me luck.

9 Comments:

At 4:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna --

I was reading On Writing (yes the craft slut that I am) and Stephen King says something about this. he says that writing every day makes the characters real to him. If he doesn't write on a book every day, the book starts growing stale and it takes him awhile to warm up to it. It starts becoming work. He prefers to work in hot gushing red blood rather than cold blood.

Best of luck.

~Michelle

 
At 5:07 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

gave me On Writing for Christmas. :-D

He's absolutely right! It wouldn't be nearly so hard to write today, if I'd written yesterday...

But it's easy to just beat yourself up about it, instead of just getting on with it....

 
At 5:15 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Ooops.

Didn't close the link properly, sorry!

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Yup. Write. Do it. Because you can.

Julie, who hasn't been writing either

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Good luck! And, er, if that works, could you pass it back to me? I've been playing, but can't seem to get serious about the ms.

 
At 12:40 am, Blogger Jaci Burton said...

I do tend to find the longer I go without writing the harder it is to start again. Even if you only manage a page, or even a paragraph, there's a lot to be said about writing something every day. I think it keeps the flow and creative juices going even when you might not feel creative.

You can do it, Anna!

Jaci

 
At 1:08 am, Blogger vanessa jaye said...

Must be some bug going around, I'm not writing much either. :-( Lead the way, Anna!

 
At 7:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on the bug going around.
Not writing much.
Then, when I just write one or two paragraphs, I still feel awful because I should be writing more.

~Dream

 
At 4:02 pm, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I know exactly how you feel, Anna. I've been writing only on the weekends because I'm so exhausted when I get home from work. Also, believe it or not, when it's dark outside my body kind of shuts down and so down my creativity. So I have to work on that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home