Sunday, June 26, 2005

I'm famous!

The rather nice farmer who's our neighbour popped round today. And somewhere in the midst of chatting about trees, hay making, roof repairs and septic tanks, he said, "so you're writing books?"

"Er, yes," I said, following up with the disclaimer that I wasn't published or anything. Then: "How on earth did you know that?"

Apparently one of his daughters had read an article about a writing group I belong to in a regional paper's glossy periodical. The article featured each of six members of the group in turn, with our photos, romantic inspirations, and what we're working on.

He stood there in his check shirt and cow-dunged wellies nodding and grinning while I explained about the writing group, and the workshop we're organising. "Arr," he said, and I braced myself for a teasing comment about writing 'fluff'. "So we're going to be living next to someone famous!" he said, obviously delighted with the notion.

Well, I'm working on it.

6 Comments:

At 5:17 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Oh, what a lovely thing to say! I'm so glad he didn't say anything disaparaging. :-)

 
At 5:20 pm, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

What a sweet story, and talk about positive affirmations! Love it!

 
At 6:18 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Welcome, Tabby - hope you can stick around. And I know what you mean, sometimes the confidence others have in us amazes me!

It was lovely, wasn't it, Melissa?

I suck at affirmations, Beth - but I'll take 'em from other people anytime!

 
At 11:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, how cool!!! I like your farmer neighbor!!

 
At 6:25 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

How absolutely cool!!!

You do know that I have found that magazine in dentists, doctors etc. It lives on...

And of course you are going to be a Famous Writer.

 
At 7:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely comment. Hope it keeops you walking on air for ages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home