Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Random Holiday Musings #2

I made a mistake on holiday. Actually, I made the mistake long before.

I expected the holiday to magic away the funk I've been in for some time.

Ooops.

I do have a bad habit of refusing to own my own moods. I don't blame others for them (thank GOD), but I do wait for outside factors to 'make me feel better'.

The effect of this is that periodically I live my life in a level of breath-held suspension, waiting for some thing, some happening, to make it all better.

I'll feel better when we get a bit more sunshine. When I have a swim. When work calms down. When I've had a break...

Hmmm.

But I am responsible for how I feel, and I'm responsible for a) learning to live with it and b) changing it.

5 Comments:

At 1:28 pm, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

I sympathize, Anna, as I've been in a similar head lately. Recently someone reminded me that happiness comes from within. I learned that lesson long ago, but it's not always easy to remember... or to attain. However, realizing or admitting that you need to take responsibilty for your own happiness is a huge step in the right direction. Hang in there.

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

(((Hugs)))

I know! And you know I know! I go through very much the same process and as you know I'm in the midst of owning my own moods/life. Having up and down days is allowed and you know we're here.

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

It is difficult to remember that we do have the option of being responsible for our moods. I blame a lot of my moods on outside factors, as well. But then I turn around and tell my stepson that he is responsible for how he feels - no one else. It's a lesson I need to take to heart more. :-)

 
At 7:06 pm, Blogger THIS! Christine said...

Hmm, why is everyone making me think deep thoughts today.

I think I would expand on your responsibility point though. Because quite often outside forces do influence how we feel. The thoughtless husband who didn't call to say he'd be late and that time sensitive dinner was ruined. The friend who asked for a small favour and extended it to the point of imposition.

So I think I'd amend it to, you are responsible for how you 'deal' with those feelings or that mood. For me I have to voice it. It doesn't have to be fixed. I don't expect grovelling to make amends, but just the act of me voicing how/why those actions affected me remove the... wallowing/brooding/seething factor.

X

 
At 6:03 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Anna --

Knowing that you need to be responsible is an important first step.

Sending you lots of hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home