Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Generosity

I learned very young that it was easy to replicate the warm, excited feelig you get when someone gives you a gift, by giving a gift to someone else.

You know.

Their face lights up, their mouth drops open. They might gasp, or jump up and down or squeal. The might do what Husband does and press the heels of his hands to his cheeks as if his smile is in danger of bursting out and taking over the world.

You have all those visual prompts to conjure lovely feelings in you, and you can store those pictures in happy memories.

It's different when the gift is anonymous.

I received a gift on Tuesday. A gift so appropriate, so needed and so complimentary it blew me away. Chances are I know the giver, but I don't know which of my acquaintances it is.

But just in case they read this blog, I'm doing my face lighting, mouth opening, jumping up and down and squealing here.

Thank you.

I'll strive to be worthy of the gift!

4 Comments:

At 10:35 am, Blogger Sadhbh said...

Hi Anna - sorry to say it wasn't me (logical - but reassuring - as I don't have your email or snailmail addresses)
Delighted you got a gift which gave you so much pleasure - may you get many more
Generosity is a great thing, but graciousness in accepting is another. So many people are ungracious these days - saying "you shouldn't have" before they've even said thanks
Friends, acquaintances and total strangers, be aware. If one day I give you something and you say that, the response will be "oh well I won't so" and I'll take it back ;-)
Even when we don't feel we deserve a gift, the least we can do is say "thank you very very much, I love it. It wasn't necessary and that's one of the reasons I appreciate it so much"

That was a very gracious and heartwarming insight to your joy in receiving Anna - makes me want to give you something :-) just to see your reaction

 
At 12:22 pm, Blogger Anna Lucia said...

Thanks so much, Sadhbh! You see, you have given me something - a compliment that's made me smile mistily...

 
At 12:03 pm, Anonymous Michelle said...

Awww! That sounds so nice. :)

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

How lovely that you were given a gift that brought you so much joy. And an anon giver to boot! Wow. Enjoy, Anna. I just know you deserved the gift! (Whatever it was, you tease) *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home