Monday, February 20, 2006

Guilt and Pleasure

I've been tagged by Julie to list five guilty pleasures. I'm adopting her qualification process, limiting guilty pleasures to those that are not educational, writing-related, or professional, and that are probably harmful.

Hmmmmm.

I'm really rather a boring person, and most of my pleasures are alarmingly worthy and boring. Walking in the Lake District, reading, writing... Even chocolate and the occasional glass of wine have some health benefits (even if only mental health benefits). I refuse to feel guilty about most food stuffs - eating is a sensual, joyful experience.

This could get ugly.

Okay, so, my five guilty pleasures are...

1) Not exercising. There's nothing quite like being curled up under the duvet on the sofa watching Blackadder instead of heaving away on the rowing machine.

2) Playing mindless computer games. Command and Conquer. Age of Empires. Rome: Total War. Lord of the Rings - the Battle for Middle Earth. And, coming soon: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. *whimper* The last time I got into an Elder Scrolls game, I think Husband was considering an Intervention. It stole my life.... But, actually, even computer games have their non-guilty rationale. I use them to shut off stress.

3) Cheap chocolate. Despite my new year resolution to the contrary, I am continuing to be a chocolate slut, a veritable tart for cheap, underbred, rough and ready chocolate.... Especially those little foil cups that are almost fondant-filled.

4) The Jacket Potato. Not jacket potatoes per se, but THE Jacket Potato. This is the one that's largest enough to serve three, and is heaped with enough butter to grease a Scotsman, and enough cheese to finance a mouse-war. Mmmmmmm. Even thinking about it makes me happy. And makes my arteries weep.

5) Monsoon clothes. There are clothes in my wardrobe from Monsoon that I will rarely wear, because I don't go to enough posh dos. But, oh, they're gorgeous. And they're gorgeousness justifies their purchase. Really. It does.

Now I'm reveiwing the above and thinking, "well, that's not really guilty. There's stress-relief in the gaming, calcium and vit c in the potato, style aspirations in the clothing....

There's obviously no hope for me.

5 Comments:

At 1:20 pm, Blogger Tess said...

Oooh - I love Monsoon clothes, but we can't get them over here in Canada :-( I'm with you all the way on chocolate!!!

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger Dee Tenorio said...

LOL, Sadly, I'm not sure what Jacket Potato is (a baked potato? Cause that's what it sounds like) or Monsoon clothes, lol.

Right now I'm picturing you wearing severe rain gear while binding a giant potato in a nice woolly coat. :)

Rough and ready chocolate, though. I like that. Sounds yum!

:) (Just wanted to say hi and let you know I miss you. :) )

Smooches,
Dee

PS: My word verification is: wyrlllwhdk

SERIOUSLY???

EDITED: apparently, I'm not a smart enough typist for such a challenging word and have been given the much kinder izcsqr. Phew!

 
At 5:07 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Enough butter to grease a Scotsman? Are you trying to make me hyperventilate???

Just think of all that lovely shopping we will be doing in just over two weeks?? Monsoon, East... and champagne afterwards (and during if need be)

 
At 2:08 pm, Blogger Jaci Burton said...

chocolate, potatoes with butter, clothes?

these all sound good to me.

*g*

 
At 11:10 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Hmm, I forgot about the guilty pleasure of shopping with Anna and Biddy and then drinking champagne...

None of those seem particularly guilty to me. They all seem to have a purpose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home