Thursday, June 01, 2006

Dream Holiday

Some people's dream holiday involves searing their skin on a crowded beach, some stay in luxury hotels. Some hike into the jungle and measure the success of their vacation by how many bugs they had to remove from their groin area.

Slightly more sane holiday-makers take short breaks in historic cities, get aboard a yacht in the mediterrannean, camp in the New Forest or climb in the Lakes. Some go whale watching, some go to Disneyland. Some take to the Caribbean, some trek in the Arctic.

Probably my two favourite holidays with Husband so far are the time we rented Pilot's Lookout (a tiny cottage with three rooms on top of each other, accessed by ladders and trapdoors) in Mousehole, Cornwall, and the time we camped at Hollows Farm.

But close runners up are the two times we stayed on the Northumberland Coast. Thundering cliffs and windswept beaches, brooding castles and historic villages, good food, good fun, and time spent with Husband. I wouldn't swap it for those crowded beaches, or luxury hotels. Or, indeed, the groin-bugs.

We're off there again tomorrow evening, and I can't wait!

What's your ideal holiday?

7 Comments:

At 5:33 pm, Blogger Tess said...

My husband and I spending a weekend in a castle in England. With our kitties *g*.

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

A nice mix of visiting historical sites, hiking in glorious surroundings, and a few days of relaxing (beach would be best, but sitting in the shadow of a tree and read a good book is fine, too).

I plan to visit the UK in autumn. It should give me the mix I want. :)

 
At 6:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Northumberland was where we spent our last holiday (in a converted Pele tower) and it was fabulous. Have a wonderful break. And if you go to Alwick, walk through the rose gardens and breathe in for me.

 
At 8:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anna. I am from Alnwick myself, so quite understand your love of the amazing coastline. On the other hand, someone else may be persuaded to pay for a holiday for you ...
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article623254.ece

got to laugh, have a lovely time, Ray-Anne

 
At 8:58 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Oh wow, Tess, that does sound like a dream holiday. Especially with the kitties. :-) I always get nervous leaving ours behind, even with cat-sitters.

Now, you see, Gabriele and I share the same taste in holidays! Certainly the UK should give you the mix you want, Gabriele. And I'd go so far as to recommend either Cornwall or Northumberland (or some of Wales) for that combination.

We're definitely going to Alnwick, Kate! IAn loves the castle, and we both love watching the evolution of the gardens. And the restaurant in the Tree House? Oh Dear God, the food....

LOL @ the link, Ray-Anne. And it's a small world, isn't it?

Must go pack.

 
At 9:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the United States, and I would love to go to Ireland (I am an Irish dancer). A few of my friends went up last year for the World competition and I was so jealous!
Come visit my page... Domus Luciae!

 
At 9:41 am, Blogger Sharon J said...

My ideal holiday would be camping by a quiet lake, miles away from civilisation in the midst of a Norwegian forest. Unfortunately, due to health problems, that isn't something I'll ever be able to do again, but at least I'm lucky enough to have done it.

Resort holidays are fine, but I'd much rather spend my time closer to nature the way she was designed to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home