Monday, June 27, 2005

Two-Parter:-

Orange Kitkats

Orange Kitkats. Orange bloody Kitkats. HOW am I supposed to lose weight when some bright spark has decided to buy orange Kitkats for the work tuck shop? No, no, NO!

But they're so loooooooooovelyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feelin' the burn

I wrote last night. Not expecting to, not having planned to - the weekend was dedicated to Husband and to equal parts fun and housework. But I managed ten pages at the end of the day.

That, of itself, was an achievement, but it wasn't the best bit. No. The best bit was how it felt.

Because I was feeling what the characters were feeling. Emily, the heroine, was scared for her life and I was shaking. Tristan, the French hero, was bitterly angry* and my every muscle was tight with it. They were wildly angry, and I burned with it.

That's when I love writing. When the emotion is in me, and the words move through me. It's liberating, energising, even healing.

Of course, it can go too far. My heroine is missing the little finger on her right hand, which makes hitting the full stop and 'p' keys somewhat challenging in her POV...

*In one paragraph I managed to use "bitter" and similar words like bite, twist, sharp and bit about ten times. This will change, but at least I can be sure what he was feeling... *rolling eyes*

10 Comments:

At 12:53 pm, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

You know it is good when you are wrapped in your characters' emotions.

Good for you!

 
At 2:16 pm, Blogger Toni Anderson said...

Hey Anna--ORANGE KITKATS? Oh it is good I'm not there--are they in Canada? I better not look as that is my favourite flavour combination. Yum.

Sigh--on the writing buzz. I envy you that after my day of total frustration yesterday--best laid plans and all that :)

 
At 4:28 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Love it when the emotion comes through like that. Makes this writing gig well worth it. :-)

 
At 5:13 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

YAY!! 10 pages is fantastic!

So glad that I can't eat kitkats! Otherwise I would be in trouble.

 
At 7:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orange kitkats. My daughter's favourites. But in the 2-bar size they are so easy to eat every time you pass the fridge...

I am just glad they don't do coffee flavour. (If they do, DON'T tell me.)

Character emotion is good. Just don't switch to crime novels and start bumping people off, though!!!! ;)

 
At 8:32 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

THey're here in the UK, Toni, but I don't know about Canada, sorry! :-(

Don't worry, Biddy, I got you covered! Bought some chocolate orange brownies the other day...

No coffee kitkats. But they DO do a coffee and caramel Magnum at the moment...

Evil Anna.

 
At 8:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, that's soo cool when you get that into the characters. I love those moments. And you describe it so well!

I've never seen orange kitkats.

 
At 10:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I can't get past the orange kitkats...

Maybe if I had orange kit kats, I'd get a writing buzz too.

 
At 10:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly I need some of those kit-kats; seem distracted from writing by everything of late. New discovery of blogging, kids. Tomorrow is an avowed writing day. I'll try it out...

 
At 3:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coffee ice cream??? With caramel? Ah, whyja tell me about that? Kate works out if she has enough points left to have one tonight. No. Whimpers and promises self session on running machine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home