Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A Timely Reminder

Once in a while I make myself read this list. This time, I thought I'd share.

Ten Commandments for Good Mental Health

1. Thou shalt not be perfect

2. Thou shalt not be all things to all people

3. Thou shalt leave some things undone

4. Thou shalt not spread thyself too thinly

5. Thou shalt learn to say no

6. Thou shalt schedule time for yourself and network support

7. Thou shalt switch off and do nothing regularly

8. Thou shalt be boring, inelegant and unattractive sometimes

9. Thou shalt not feel guilty

10. Thou shalt not be thine own worst enemy

I've lost the ability to do 7 in recent years, unless I'm playing a mindless computer game, or watching pointless TV. I'm proud of my achievement of 8, have no ambition of ever cracking 9, and, in fact, feel 9 over my tendency to do 10.

But every now and then I review the list, and I have another go.

It's persisting down in Cumbria at the moment. The droplets are pouring down the window, and you can hear the spray thrown up by the vehicles on the main road outside the office. Since we came home on Monday to find water pouring into the house from a hole that the roofers who are working on next door failed to cover up, I can't help wondering what fresh rain-soaked hell we will find when we get home tonight.

However, I promised I would be positive here, so how's this perspective:- parts of our house will, sometime in the next few months, be freshly decorated for the first time in probably 40 years. Thanks to Julie for that one.

Remember the list, people. ;-)

8 Comments:

At 4:45 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Great list! They must be added to The Rules!!

 
At 7:34 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

I've never been able to follow any of those. Not a single one. Except number 8, frequently.

On the other hand, I do appreciate decorating. :-)

 
At 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a great list, Anna. I so need to work on almost all of them!!

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

I'd like a bit of 1, 9 and 10, please. 8 is totally under control.

 
At 2:50 pm, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

Oh, wow. I'm in trouble. LOL Great list, Anna. Printing. Out. Now.

 
At 1:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good list to work on.

Lori

 
At 6:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-oh. I need to work on most of those....

 
At 8:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna, good list!

I can do 6-10 no probs (especially 8). But 1-5 - not a hope in hell.

Kate H (Blogger hates me right now so it's making me post as anon!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home