Monday, September 19, 2005

StartHERE

I use Word's Bbookmark feature* to mark important scenes and chapter beginnings to give me 'waypoints' to navigate around my MS with.

This is especially important as I write out of sequence and by the seat of my pants, so I often have a lot of work to join up scenes and weave in the arcs properly.

I also use Bookmark to put a StartHERE marker in the WIP so I know where I'm working on. Otherwise I spend ages reading through, looking for gaps to work on. It's as much a pointer for ease of use as a discipline tool to stop me re-reading scenes that don't need it.

For many weeks that StartHERE has stayed on the same page. I was spending more time stopped.

Lots of time stopped.

Then Sela posted a rant that might as well have been scooped out of my own head.

And yesterday StartHERE moved. Just a little, but it moved.

At this time, I'll take any progress I can get.



*Click on INSERT, BOOKMARK, type in a Bookmark Name (must be all run together, ie, ChapterOne, not Chapter One), click Add. To go straight to a bookmark, click INSERT, BOOKMARK, and double click on the right name.

3 Comments:

At 3:07 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Yay! StartHere moved!! I was rather afraid I'd hurt your feelings, but I'm so glad it helped instead!

 
At 3:14 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Nooooo, no, no, no, noo! Sorry, love, I didn't mean to give that impression. You just expressed frustrations that were too plugged into my incipient self-loathing for me to be brave enough to express.

It was cathartic, and it got something moving. Which I will be forever grateful for.

:-)

 
At 4:00 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

plugged into my incipient self-loathing... I like that! That sounds familiar. *gg*

Anyway, whew! Anna still loves me. :-) I got a bit accomplished this morning and hope to get back to it this afternoon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home