Monday, September 05, 2005

What's in a name?

It's Monday. I'm driving to work, equal parts bleary-eyed and bleurghy-stomached.

Winding my way down the 591 towards Keswick, hopping onto the A66, muttering, "THIS is what an accelerator is for" at the tourist traffic, and grumbling at the slow-arse aggregate lorries. I finally get onto the last stretch of dual carriageway before work and end up pootling along behind a red van, with its company website emblazoned across its rear windows.

A website which appeared to read: wasdalecocks

I drove the next mile without seeing the road.

You see, Wasdale is a small lakeland valley, stark and beautiful. It's remote, isolated, and has a very small community of around 50 people. I know some of those people. Most of the people I know who might qualify to be in some way involved in a website called wasdalecocks are old and wrinkly. One, at least, is extremely fit and athletic, mildly famous and highly respected, but old and wrinkly nonetheless.

I'm suddenly stuck with the mental image of a few of these elders of the valley gathered round the camp fire comparing lengths or something.

Finally, the traffic opened up. "Ohhh," I said, overtaking. "It's SOCKS."

9 Comments:

At 5:13 pm, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Knowing Wasdale as I do, I had a keyboard spew moment.
Absolutely priceless.

 
At 6:35 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

*snortle*

 
At 9:21 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

See, I just thought of chickens. I don't know what's up with you. Pervert.

 
At 9:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL! I'm not sure what's funnier-what the site really was, or Julie's comment

 
At 1:40 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

LMAO!!! I was thinking of chickens, too. Er, that was the *second* thing I thought of.

 
At 5:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL.

Course, there are weather cocks, stop cocks... and only Julie would think of chickens.

But... elderly men comparing lengths... Anna, you just *have* to do a chicklit. You do, you do, you do.

 
At 8:08 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Chicklit is dead, baby.... ggg But no, honestly, when I try to be funny in a story, it's truly horrible.

And Julie, you're heading for an intervention over your poultry fixation, I swear.

 
At 12:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah ha ha. snort. ha.

Thanks for the light moment today!!

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Donna Alward said...

Oh, Anna. And Julie no one believes your protestations of innocence.

I was at church choir practice last week thumbing through a Christmas book...and came upon a tune called "The Miracle of the Cock". I lost it. All the members of the choir are 50+ except myself and the director. I'm sure they thought I was about 12.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home