Saturday, November 12, 2005

A time for every purpose...

It strikes me that there is a time to be modest, and a time to be utterly, unredeemably, unashamedly boastful.

So today I'm going to boast. Settle down and pay attention: this doesn't happen very often.

A little background... I'm a member of the glorious, wonderful, fabulous Romance Novelists Association. I'm a member under what they call the New Writers Scheme, which is membership for unpublished writers, who have a chance to submit a MS every year and receive a detailed critique from a published author.

With me so far?

Good.

Now, if an NWS MS is deemed of publishable quality, it gets a second read. If the second reader agrees, then the writer is given a chance to polish it up, and then the RNA submit it to an appropriate publisher or agent on their behalf. A second read is a real achievement, rather like finalling in a contest. Only a few MS get a second read each year.

My MS got a second read. The second reader loved it too.

I'm going to polish it up and they're going to submit it for me.

Life is good.

Quotes

It certainly passed the wanting-to-turn-the-page test. The plot, too is exciting and you are good at both the thrill of the chase across the desert as well as the sex scenes, which are erotic without being prurient.

I'm sure that you have plenty of natural talent but your typescript also shows evidence of understanding of plot, how to keep up tension and so on.

There are a number of things that I want to look at - I have every faith that you can deal with them.

... this is a page-turner and extremely readable. It has an exciting plot, well-drawn characters and a vivid setting.

Their relationship sizzles and it is at the heart of the book.

I thought you showed the emotional tension and the developing relationship beautifully and very much in the style that the publisher is looking for.

Overall I would say that this is the sort of book you don't want to put down.


See - I said I was going to be boastful! There are, of course, things to work on. But nothing I can't do. And THAT, my friends, feels wonderful.

I will be thanking my readers appropriately, but in case they're reading this - THANK YOU! I've been in a very bad place writing-wise, for too long. I can't begin to tell you how welcome, and how desperately needed, this sort of boost is.

There. Boast over. Now I'll go off and be embarassed...

17 Comments:

At 5:04 pm, Blogger Donna Alward said...

You have earned every right to boast! Congratulations, you!

 
At 5:39 pm, Blogger Melani Blazer said...

Oh Darling, that's WONDERFUL!!!!

I've always loved your writing style and story lines, and I'm so thrilled you're getting such accolades. :)

The thing that makes it best is that I know you're such a person to take this and let it encourage you, lift you, make the writing credible and meaningful again, rather than just to show off. And I love you for it. *hugs!*

I can't wait to hear that the next step is also a success. I have every ounce of faith in you!

 
At 5:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous, Anna, just fabulous! So pleased for you. Will be keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Boast away, my love. You deserve it. One day you will be quoting equally rave reviews of your published novel.

 
At 1:38 am, Blogger vanessa jaye said...

oooo, that was lovely to read. Fantastic, Anna!!

 
At 4:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Anna! Julie told me, and I'm so happy for you!!! You deserve to brag--you earned it, woman!
Congratulations!
:)

 
At 7:55 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Enjoy the moment. It is wonderful news.

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm a bit overwhelmed by this reaction. :-)

I'm still a bit dazed, to be honest. Keep having to remind myself it happened!

 
At 11:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pleased for you, Anna. Sounds like this validation of your writing couldn't have come at a better time. Fingers crossed for you.

 
At 11:35 am, Blogger Nell Dixon said...

Yay, Anna!!!! Fantastic news and well earned.

 
At 3:01 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Don't you dare be embarrassed! This is wonderful stuff and every single word is true. Congratulations!!!

 
At 4:01 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

*does happy dance for Anna*

YOU ROCK!!!

 
At 4:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boast away! I've always loved your writing, and the only surprise to me is that it's taken this long!

 
At 4:53 pm, Blogger Kate Allan said...

Yay! You know you write wonderfully and it's only a matter of time. :)

 
At 7:16 pm, Blogger Lis said...

Congratulations Anna!
Those are wonderful comments!!!

 
At 3:39 pm, Blogger Jessica Raymond said...

Congratulations!! Hopped over from Nell's blog and saw something about your fab report on one of your recent entries, so I've just scrolled through your post history to find it (I'm really not mad...) -- this is fabulous! Has the MS been submitted yet? I am just about to join RNA as a NW for the first time and am glad I'll be in such good company :) :)

 
At 5:18 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

THANK you, Jessica! It's not been submitted yet, as I haven't found time to do the tweaks that are needed before it goes out. I'm planning to do those asap, and then I'll be crossing my fingers.... Looking forward to meeting you at RNA 'dos'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home