Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ultimate Friday Afternoons

On Friday, I made my escape from work early. It was a bitterly cold day, with occasionaly sudden snow flurries, against a blue sky. I had lunch, I did the shopping, and then I decamped here:-


Posted by Picasa

I always carry a picnic blanket, fleece blanket and pillow in the car. Now you know why. I don't think I've ever seen Derwent Water so frozen, although that's probably just because when it's this cold I'm usually INSIDE huddled in blankets, not outside on the edge of a cliff.

It was so quiet, and so still. I heard a rustling, and froze, trying to identify where the sound came from. Looking up, I saw three bronze oak leaves in the top of the tree, shivering together in a faint breeze. That slight, soft sound was so stark against the silence. It was so quiet, when I leand my head back against the tree and closed my eyes, I could hear the robin hopping stealthily close.

When I first stepped out of the car I was wrapped in the most incredible scent. It was a green-brown smell, moss and leaf litter, and sleeping, dreaming trees. Sweet and earthy and honest.

Sitting against that tree under my blankets, I could still smell the ancient woodland smell, but could also pick up faint scents of woodsmoke, and that indefinable, sharp, clean scent of cold water from the lake below.


Posted by Picasa

When I got too cold, I went for a walk. Weaving through old-before-their years oak trees, sentinel descendents of a thousand years of woodland.


Posted by Picasa

I felt honoured to be allowed to pass.

Now that's a Friday afternoon I can live with.

What's your perfect Friday afternoon?

7 Comments:

At 3:45 pm, Blogger Cynthia Valero said...

Anna, your words and your photos are beautiful. I want to be there too!!!

Cyndi

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

That would be my perfect Friday afternoon, too.

 
At 12:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking us there with you. You described it beautifully :-)

~Sharon J

 
At 7:30 am, Blogger Kate Walker said...

Now, normally, if your DH is sitting looking at a site gooing 'Corrrr! Will you look at that! Oh yes!' You'd be worried - but no, the BM was looking at your blog photos!

Love
Kate

 
At 10:48 am, Blogger Nell Dixon said...

lovely photo's, Anna.

 
At 4:41 pm, Blogger Tess said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics, Anna - thanks so much for posting them. Would love to visit that area one day - have always been fascinated by it since reading Seton's Devil Water.

 
At 6:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna, lovely pics and lovely words!

Perfect Friday afternoon? Mine would be similar. Except it'd be on the North Norfolk coast, walking across an endless expanse of sand, with the wind whipping the waves into a roar and the kids searching for seashells and fossicking for fossils. (Hmm. Alliteration overdose. I've been reading too much Anglo-saxon poetry lately. But that too is East Coast stuff...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home