Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Attack of the Sequel

So. It's like this.

I have something like 70 writing hours left before my self-imposed deadline of the end of the month in which to finish the Frenchman's story. That's about 1.1 pages an hour. Every moment counts. I need to finish this story, and finish it to my own goals.

The geraniums and bacopa that should have gone into the hanging baskets a month ago are still growing leggy and limp on my windowsill. If a dinner takes longer than twenty minutes to cook, I ain't cookin' it. TV is out. Reading is minimal. Husband is long-suffering. Pippi thinks longingly of the days when Mummy brushed her fluffy coat once a week... Husband thinks longingly of the days when Wifey brushed-- *cough*. Never mind.

This being the case, can someone explain to me why I wrote the first two pages of a new story today? Hmmm?

Okay, so it's the story of one of the secondaries in the Frenchman's story - not so bad. It's set locally so I haven't got Realistic Setting Angst to deal with. It has (so far) a light an uncomplicated plot - the Holy Grail! But... it's not the book I'm supposed to be working on! Argh!

Actually, it's not so bad. It's a good sign. When I hit that last third of a book, the next idea usually elbows its way into the queue and starts tapping me on the shoulder. It means I'm about to accelerate into that mad rush of completion.

Bring it on.

5 Comments:

At 10:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the sequel is needed to push the rest of the book out, a sort of space thing... you can't get the first one out until another one starts taking up the space it's vacating.

 
At 10:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL on the wifely brushing..... Is that from the new book? Heh heh heh.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Youuuuuuuu can dooooooo eeeeeeeet!!!

 
At 11:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you make your deadline?

 
At 2:03 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Ooops, Margery - I misled you! I was thinking I was already in July. It's actually the end of July that's my deadline.

I know it sounds like a long time, but I can only write a few evenings, and some weekends.

But it's still looking hopeful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home