Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Gone, but not forgotten

Me, that is. I hope.

;-)

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm having a bit of a brain freeze at the moment, am running shy from things online, but I am here, and I'll be back soon.

I am, however, making excellent use of my freed-up time. Today I cooked a roast beef dinner with eight different types of vegetables. The roasted parsnips and carrots with rosemary was a hit, as was the kohl rabi gratinated with herbs and breadcrumbs.

I also emptied the compost bin. Oh, the glamour.

I'm ashamed to say I actually enjoy sorting out the compost. There's something deeply satisfying about dedicating your physical strength and mental agility to serving a natural process like decomposition. Sprinkle a little of this, mix in a little of that. Is it damp enough? Dry enough? Warm enough?

Leaf of tea and shell of egg... rind of lime and coffee dregs... *eldritch cackle*

It's like alchemy.

Or necromancy.

Sadly, I think composting has most in common with train spotting. Because finding some charred grasses in your compost heap and excitedly telling Husband that you've achieved Hot Composting is right up there with videoing the 9:28 to Oxenholme.

5 Comments:

At 11:52 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Lord, that's sad. *gg*

Enjoy your new free time! Dinner sounds great, too!

 
At 8:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie!!

Thanks again for a wonderful weekend. I had a fantastic time it was just what I needed! I hope you got my text that said I got home safe all right, as you know, my phone is a bit dodgy. Give my love to hubby, cats and kittens. I shall miss wrestling with them!

Love BearXX

 
At 8:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Wrestling with kittens not hubby!!! LOL Mental note: read before publishing!

BearXX

 
At 2:53 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Yum...dinner sounds divine. I can't remember the last time I cooked something like that...I'm only good for making lasagna and cold cereal. ;-)

 
At 7:12 am, Blogger Danica Favorite said...

Hope you are doing better soon!

And um, you know, I have Anna food envy again. Why is it that you always seem to have the best food?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home