Saturday, September 09, 2006

Seasonal

I don't really have a favourite season. I'm as happy making snowcats (and, on one memorably occasion, a snow-Hadrian's Wall) as I am sunbathing or swimming in the river. As content blackberrying as I am watching the may blossom come in.

What I do really love is the change of seasons. Those wonderful cusps of the year where you waver between one season and the next, before you dive, wholehearted and joyous, into the change. The anticipation of seasoal foods and festivals, of different ways of living.


It's not quite autumn yet. We're getting chill, misty mornings and bright, blazing afternoons like these.

There are blackberries on the vine and scarlet berries weighing down the rowan trees. The garden's calling me to 'put it to bed for the winter' and the cats leave little misty breath-marks on the windows when they watch the birds.


And under the trees, down in the woods, another fruit of autumn is pushing its way through the leaf-mold and pine needles.

5 Comments:

At 9:19 am, Blogger Jessica Raymond said...

Gorgeous post, Anna -- pictures and words. Makes me really wish I didn't live in a urban town...

 
At 5:12 pm, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Yes, the picture is great. I wanna go there.

A snow Hadrian's Wall, lol.

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

Beautiful pics. *sniffle* I wanna be where you are.

Um, what sre those fruity mushroom looking things?

 
At 8:51 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Lovely picture of the highy poisonous toadstools.

I do agree autumn is so lovely in the Lakes.

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Those fruity looking mushroom things, Beth, as Michelle says, are highly poisonnous. They're the Fly Agaric, and the original inspiration for the traditional 'toadstool'. :-)

I used to live in a town, Jessica! And actually I like to visit them. But it's wonderful to come home to the green and the space, and knowing the HISTORY of the landscape around me.

We never do the conventional thing with snow, Gabriele ;-)

I can't wait for autumn to really get going, Michelle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home