Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Best Laid Plans...

I'm sitting here, eating my warm porridge (not too appetising, but does me a lot of good!) trying to think of something blog-worthy to post.

Anyone striking the outside of my cranium this morning would hear a booming echo...

As I drove home late last night, my head was seething with writerly-thoughts. What to do to DANGEROUS LIES to improve the partial. When I think I could set up RUN AMONG THORNS in house style and get it to Medallion. If, by some amazing chance, the Other Publisher requests TAKEN, how soon could I finish the full MS?

(The answer to that one, I suspect, is end of March earliest. My diary is chronically overbooked with evening meetings in Feb. In order to preserve health and sanity, I'm going to need to accept I can do very little writing in that blessedly short month)

Then, as I drove past Threlkeld and the rain lashed down so hard it was reflecting my headlights like mist, I started wondering what I would write next.

It was nice wondering what I'd write next. I rather enjoyed it.

I suspect I'll do Gareth's story next. That's DANGER, DEEP WATER. Research is going to have to involve a yacht trip...

By next, of course, I probably mean 'in summer'. Oh, the writing year gallops on apace.

Do you have long term plans as well as short term goals? How do you keep track of them?

3 Comments:

At 3:24 pm, Blogger Anna Adams said...

Hey, Anna,

You make even a drive home in the rain sound well worth taking. (Mind you, we had a record-breaking 72 F--22 C here yesterday. No sign of winter!)

I make long and short-term plans, but I rarely manage to keep them. Because of family stuff for the past couple of years, but suddenly, I just don't seem to be good at living with a plan. (Trying to embrace that--along with my excessive use of parentheses.) If you figure it out, you should write an article on it! :-)

Hope everything's going well with you and yours!

Anna A.

 
At 7:39 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Round here, even a drive home in the rain IS worth taking. :-D

Personally, I think that if a plan isn't changeable and revisable, it's completely unrealistic... but I'm lost without SOME sort of goal.

 
At 8:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now I'm keeping a database of core-story ideas, and I really do try to stick to priorities.

Really.

/snicker

And hi, btw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home