Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spring

Loreth was talking about spring being on the way in her neck of the woods. It's not quite with us here.

A couple of weeks ago, I was down in Shropshire, visiting Mum and Dad. They have spring - the blackthorn blossom is out, misting the hedges in white froth. The hawthorn is about to burst into vibrant green leaf. The daffodils are out, and the crocuses are gleaming like amethyst teardrops in shady spots.

Nearly two hundred miles farther north, though, it's really still winter, and I'm impatient for the change of seasons. The hints are there - the fields are about to change their tone, from a brownish, washed out green to the bright emerald of newly growing grass, and there are a few daffodils bursting forth.

But I want the hawthorn to break bud, and the other bulbs to bloom.

Come on spring. I've missed you.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:50 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Come visit me!! We have loads of daffy-down-dillies and I have been wearing my sunglasses and light jackets.

 
At 1:53 am, Blogger Danielle Marie Peck said...

Oh, I hear you girl! I want spring and summer to rush in and rescue me from rain and snow. I want to see blue skies again and feel the warmth of the sun on my skin! I'm so tired of gray and cold and wet. But we're still firing up the wood stove here nearly every day. Summer seems so very far away.

 
At 3:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, spring. Yes please! We have a crocus--a single solitary bud that was brave enough to visit so early, but just across the yard is an ever present but dwindling pile of snow.

 
At 7:48 am, Blogger Emma Wayne Porter said...

Poor thing. It's been absolutely gorgeous here the last few days. We've melted over 5 feet of snowbanks since Saturday.

And what a good thing, since Mady had gotten her shoe stuck in one a couple weeks ago, and it finally emerged yesterday.

I hope Spring gets a move on for you. Sucky weather is such a downer.

 
At 1:33 pm, Blogger Akelamalu said...

A little further south than you we have crocus and daffodils. Spring's on the way.

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

It's funny, but I must have been ahead of spring by a day... today the sun is shining, and the birds are singing up a storm!

Pah, Biddy! I disdain your light jackets and sunglasses... ;-)

mmmm wood stove... That would make winter less of a chore, Danielle!

Ah, but you have PROPER winter, Mel! I shouldn't moan about our grey days when you're neck deep in snow! Nice to see you. :-)

LOL @ Maddy's shoes, Emma - gmao!

You've been proved right, Akelamalu! Glad your knee's feeling better.

 
At 3:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um ... might have been ahead of myself. We got snow today. And yesterday. Still ... it's a different kind of snow, and a different kind of light, and the scent of the air is ... 'springy'. Well, that's my take, and I'm sticking to it :)

 
At 5:47 pm, Blogger Akelamalu said...

Ah ha, told you it was heading your way! Onwards and upwards now. Thanks for the good thoughts re my knee. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home