Monday, July 11, 2005

A Fridge Too Far... I wish

Engage Colossal Understatement Mode

I don't cope well with heat.

Cancel Mode

My max comfort level temperature is 28C. That's about 82F to you Americans out there. If I have to do anything remotely strenuous (like breathing) that comes down to 25C.

Today I managed to choose to make a long car journey during the hottest part of a very hot day. My car has no a/c, so it's a choice betweeen having the windows up and melting, (remember they put people in jail for doing this to dogs) or having the windows down and drying out faster than a tomato in the hot Italian sun. The shrivelling and wrinkling effects are much the same, too.

I did make it home by dint of frequent stops and drubbling water over my head while in the fast lane at 80mph. Since this probably constitutes "Driving Without Due Care And Attention" I don't recommend it.

Probably my only sensible choice today (besides braking early for that jam - good call) was to buy convenience food for dinner.

No way. No WAY was I standing over a hob/oven/BBQ tonight.

There have been a number of lessons from this experience.

1) Do not shop for cars in a British Winter. You will convince yourself that you don't need a/c. Thanks to Climate Change, this is now Not True.

2) I will be seen in public in my bulge-hugging comfy sweats if the temperature exceeds 30C.

3) I won't care about sweat patches... ditto

4) A standard, underwired bra from Marks and Spencer is capable of holding ten times its own weight in perspiration.

5) My requirement for food while driving in heat peaks at six meals a day.

Phew.

10 Comments:

At 7:15 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you are home safe. Sorry that you had such an uncomfortable journey.
I also don't deal well with heat.
I am currently sitting in a darkened room.

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

pfft. Weenies. Says Sela from the comfort of her air conditioned home where the outside temp is 90F with a relative humidity of only 55%. Quite mild for this time of year, really.

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Biddy the vampire... ggg

Air condiiiitioniiiiiiing... *whine*

 
At 9:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{Anna}} passing you a nice glass of iced tea and a cool misting.

Lori

 
At 10:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eek, Anna, I feel your pain. I can't stand the heat. Makes me grumpier than I already am which is way more than any person has a right to be... And this from the woman who is relocating to Florida... What am I thinking?!?!?! Try to stay cool.

LG

 
At 11:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're home safe. Did you have a good time?

Sorry to hear about the heat. I had to drive DH's monstrosity today because he was the one shuttling the children and didn't want to switch out car seats, so I totally relate. His A/C is broken. :(

 
At 1:52 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. We have to deal with the humidity here in Nebraska along with the heat. I cannot wait until I can throw on my lounging pants and t-shirts again instead of the darn tank tops and shorts. I NEVER have a sense of fashion during the summer - making sure I don't melt tops all other priorities.

 
At 1:35 am, Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

*Heh-heh* Great post, Anna. I so feel your pain. I am a weenie of major proprtions when it comes to heat.

 
At 3:56 pm, Blogger Donna Alward said...

OMG Anna, you completely cracked me up.

I hate heat, but worse - humid heat. Being in western Canada, it's fairly dry.

But I grew up in New Brunswick - humidity central. When you perspire so much you go for a swim to dry off.

 
At 8:00 pm, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

The only bra that fits me right and comfortably are those from Victoria's Secret. One you go with VS, you never go back to anything else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home