Sunday, October 02, 2005

Verbal constipation

I recently ahd a revelation about Taken, my current WIP-in-Waiting. Like many such moments of elucidation it struck while I was on the loo - Oh Throne of Inspiration! - because I was thinking about writing instead of reading someone else's.

I swear, it's got to the stage the act of reading actually stimulates my digestive system.

I digress.

Or rather, I digest.

This breakthrough concerned the opening of the story, which I was already bothered by. It's poor.

It's poor because when I wrote it I was going through a Fear of Rejection stage and was determined to write a techincally-perfect-opening-for-category. You know - meeting in the first few pages, establishing action, Goal, Motivation and Conflict, identifying the location as outside the US....

What I ended up with was something that was not so much techinically perfect as inexorably mundane. It is stilted, forced, and banal, and gives my beautifully self-sacrificing and gloriously damaged hero no opportunity to shine. It doesn't flow, is heavy and painful, and the real story backs up behind it in distress. In short, it's constipated.

Waaack, Waaack, Ooops.

So what was this senna-sational revelation? It concerned the similarity between thoughts in the POV of a person experiencing obsessive love, and a person experiencing excessive hate.

He ran one slow finger over the photograph, feeling the cracks in the glossy coating, and soft burrs of the dog-eared corners. He traced the fluid line of the girl's hair, where the wind had blown it against her cheek, along her jaw, it's dark lustre highlighting the pallour of her skin. Those fearful eyes - stubborn and proud, yes, but still fearful - stared back at him, and he knew what had put that fear there.

It was him.


Hero or villain? Hmmmm?

So now I know how I can establish the creepy, suspenseful mood of the story, introduce a theme of highlighting those love/hate similarities and set up a retroactive revelation for the hero.

Dang, I'm good.

Now there's just the rest of the book to sort out.

Excuse me, I think I need the loo....

10 Comments:

At 11:46 am, Blogger Julie Cohen said...

Yay you! You rule! I love hearing about your writing.

Though I fear the poo imagery is a little too much for me at this time on a Sunday morning...

 
At 10:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Nice!! So can you buy laxatives to cure verbal constipation? I am so there right now.

 
At 5:35 am, Blogger April said...

awesome!!!

I just bought some dulcolax today,..think it'll work? lol

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Dee Tenorio said...

HAHAHAHHAHHAAHA!

Gads, now I don't feel so bad about the Pooing with the light on thing, lol. I swear, the bathroom IS the all purpose place, ain't it? LOL!

YAY Anna...would you like some fruit?
Smooch!
Dee

 
At 10:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the insight and the inspiration. The many ways to break through the block.

Such a creative solution seeker.

Lori :)

 
At 12:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna-Just wanted to tell you again how much I enjoy your blog. You're so funny and insightful at the same time. I do have a weird question for you. How do you pronounce Lucia. It is Loosha or Loo-C-A? Just thought I'd ask. Anyway, hope you have a wonderful day!

 
At 6:49 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Glad you liked it, folks. :-)

Close, Kaitlyn! It's thoroughly anglicised, so our family pronounce it LOO-c-a. I'm not saying that's the *right* way, that's just the way we do it.

Any Italians out there would probably exclaim at the scacrilege...

 
At 10:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... I wandered over here from Beth Ciotta's blog... LOVE the entry! (Part of your story) Definitely awesome!

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

I have to come back here and say, Julie? You're worried about the poo imagery, when you're posting with THAT photo???

Hi Stacie! And thank you. :-)

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I friggin' love your writing, Anna. Friggin' LOVE it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home