Monday, September 11, 2006

Country Life

Just some random - and predominately rural - musings for a Monday.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to see a bull flirting. Amazing how something that's usually described in the terms, "huge", "heavy", and, above all, "bored", could trip along so perkily after the cow with the seductive curl to its tail... I'm sure that if I hadn't been driving by at 60, a few moments later I'd have seen the bull doing something else beginning with "f"*. I'm not sure if this is cool or freaky.

Today I drove past a farm dog eating rabbit road kill, oblivious to the traffic that was swerving to avoid consigning him to the same fate as his dinner. Witnessing it, I was both laughing and going, "ewwwwww!"

I'm never surprised by the odd, mundane things that I draw comfort from. When the farmer behind our house starts the milking machine, it causes a small power surge that dims the lights. I find that flicker of the lights and the subsequent low rumble of the machine morning and evening absurdly reassuring. Everything is as it should be, it says to me.

There is a certain breed of middle aged male that prides himself on what he calls, "plain speaking". Unfortunately the word he is really looking for is, "rudeness".

When I lose another two pounds, I will have lost 2 stone (28 pounds for our transatlantic visitors) in three and a half months. Yesterday I weeded out the clothes that are now too big for me. My wardrobe is almost empty.

Tomorrow I get to work from home, go get acupuncture, shop for presents and witness the fitters FINALLY replacing the wrong cupboard with the right one. I'm anticipating a good day...


* Farting. Do you KNOW how flatulent cattle are?

7 Comments:

At 8:34 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

I am in awe of your weight loss. Good going!!!

And yes I agree plain speaking is sometimes just plain rude.

 
At 11:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna - three cheers for you on the weight loss. (I'm still stuck and struggling, so any tips would be appreciated.)

Plain speaking... depends on how it's done. You can be honest without hurting someone - I think this type of person is missing a certain four-letter word. Tact.

ROFL on your cow with the seductively curled tail. Isn't there some scary stat about how much methane each cow produces daily and how long that energy could heat a family house? (Will have to ask son. He knows lots of gross facts. And he can burp "Smoke on the Water"... I rest my case.)

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger Sela Carsen said...

So proud of you and your empty wardrobe! You must be nearly half the woman you used to be!

I know exactly the kind of person you're talking about.

From one who used to own a flatulent Boxer, I shudder to think of being in a room with a digestively active cow.

 
At 3:08 pm, Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Awesome job on the weight loss! Doesn't it feel great? I've lost over thirty pounds in the last several months, too. It's wonderful.

I grew up on a farm and there are days that I miss it. But I think I am probably a city gal at heart.

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger Nell Dixon said...

Congratulations on the weightloss Anna. Treat yourself to some lovely things to fill that empty wardrobe.

 
At 9:12 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Thank you for the congrats, everyone! I'm trying not to spend too much on clothes yet, as I'm not done!

Kate - I think I'm going to do a post on it in the near future. If I don't - remind me. It's not been easy, and I've learned a lot along the way, so I think I have some things to say.

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Farting. Do you KNOW how flatulent cattle are?

I do. I have lived in the countryside for several years. I also remember the taste of milk fresh from the cow, rich and creamy, nothing like the stuff you get in the supermarket.

Congrats on your weight loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home