Friday, January 19, 2007

I don't want to talk about it...

... about, well, about the interior light not going off in my car, until I'd figured out what was stopping it. About the rain and the wind, and the fuel warning light coming on halfway up a mountain pass while the water was gushing out of the ground, and the road was slick with sleet. About the two closed petrol stations. About the over-long meeting on Thursday night, about stuffing envelopes with 500 seperate items because admin were too busy, about my phone breaking, my temper breaking, about my car braking not quite working.

I don't want to talk about my windscreen wipers ceasing to work four miles south of Penrith on the M6, in the rain, in the gales, at approximately 10:45pm last night. I don't want to talk about lying on the floor of my car, with my head upside-down under the steering wheel fiddling about with fuses. I don't want to talk about having to spend too much money on a Travelodge room, or losing money in the vending machine so I could eat chocolate for dinner at midnight. We will draw a veil over my locking myself out of my room while I fetched said chocolate.

I'm not going to discuss the intermittent sleep or the clicking radiator in the room.

I could probably talk about the overwork today, but not about the walking miles to and from meetings because I didn't have transport. Or the garages that were unable to fix my windscreen wipers.

Or the constant, burning, urge to SCREAM.

I am happy to praise the nice tow-truck driver who got me, and my car, home tonight.

I'm happy to talk about the hot bath I'm about to have, or the glass of port I just HAVE had. Tomorrow we can talk about my brother being here to stay, and our friend John visiting tomorrow so the boys can play war games.

But right now, mostly, I don't want to talk about it...

(And hey, was that a drive-by Waxing?)

6 Comments:

At 6:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would *not* rate among the best of days. Sounds like one I had not so long ago ... stuck in snow and sleeping in the car for eight hours. With a cold. And summer clothes. Right after being locked in one of those tunnels between a plane and the terminal. And then having to shovel my way *into* the driveway. I feel your pain.

 
At 6:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((((Hugs Anna)))))

 
At 9:44 am, Blogger Michelle Styles said...

Total massive hugs.
It sonds like a thoroughly awwful day. Although perhaps you can use it in a novel someday. At least you know what it feels like now...
Glad you are home safe and sound. Hope your car gets repaired quickly.

 
At 10:27 am, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Ouch, Loreth! At least I only had to contend with wind and rain, really!

Thanks Sue. :-)

And thank you, Michelle - definitely novel material!

The funny thing is, that before everything went so wrong, I was feeling thoroughly peeved with a few insubstantial things. Having 'real' things to deal with, with practical solutions, and problem solving approaches, somehow made me feel a lot better. It was enraging at the time, but it was good to get angry about something I could fix!

I'm smiling today, anyhow. :-D

 
At 9:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you coped. And got all that exercise, too!

Well done, sweetheart.

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Yes, that's why I didn't beg a lift, in the end - I was getting exercise!!! :-D

Ah, Sadhbh, yes, let's talk about nicer things. (((hugs)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home